Mayor's Update: TXDot Public Meeting Information
As many of you have heard, there will be an in-person TxDOT public meeting on Sept. 29, 2022, from 5-7 p.m. at the Blanco High School cafeteria (1215 4th Street) regarding the US 281 Blanco County project. In addition, TxDOT will also be having a virtual public meeting for the project on Sept. 29, 2022, at 5 p.m. through Oct. 14, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Citizens wishing to attend the meeting can visit www.txdot.gov and keyword search “US 281 Blanco County.” TxDOT’s public meetings will provide an opportunity for the public to review and comment on project information and update and proposed alternatives. We appreciate TxDOT giving us the opportunity to provide feedback on this project. The proposed improvements cover Highway 281 north and south of Blanco throughout the county, but not within the city limits; they include:
- Widening the roadway to create a four-lane divided roadway within a typical right of way
- (ROW) of 450 ft. The four-lane roadway would include two lanes in each direction and shoulders.
- Separating travel lanes by adding a grassy median to preserve flexibility in the corridor to accommodate transportation improvements in the future.
- Adding median crossovers with acceleration and deceleration lanes at regular intervals.
- Adding right-turn lanes at various intersections.
- Designing roadway transitions North and South of the city of Blanco to tie into existing four-lane sections.
- Upgrading the US 281/US 290 interchange.
Please note that this meeting will exclude the study of a relief route around the city of Blanco, which is being studied as part of a separate project. We continue to work with TxDOT on the relief route study, and when I have an update, I will make sure to pass that information along.
-Mayor Rachel Lumpee